Friday, September 14

Strange night indeed...

It is easy, so easy, to fall into 'bad' things.

I do injustice to the statement by describing it with a mono-syllabic, 3-letter word, but I find no other way of saying it without giving away my personal barometer of ethics or morals. The statement is not about MY yardstick of values. It is a statement about ANY and ALL yardsticks -- that more often than not, it is easier to find ourselves at the "negative" end of the stick versus the "better" end.

Perhaps this truth is why some believe the world to be a cold, dreary place. Something to avoid, to hide from, to dissociate. Perhaps also why pessimism and deep-seated sarcasm are in vogue. Also, possibly causing our natural discomfort at giddiyingly positive messages from TV/Movies/Conversations/Books/SMS Messages/Etc. We've all heard things we find "sickeningly corny" -- with our brains screaming 'nothing can be THAT picture-perfect.'

Some philosophers (read: people who have WAY more time than I do) have even found this observation as basis for arguing that man is "naturally evil." They argue that whatever the circumstance, everyone's default setting is on "bad" vs. "good."

All my life I've always believed this to be true -- that falling into 'bad' comes off easily. But this only strengthened my appreciation for most things 'hard' and 'difficult.' Having grown up with Catholic Faith, I sought to be a 'good' person, and this I associated with working hard.

But when I lost my faith almost 4 or 5 years ago, casting it away for reasons I cannot remember, I didn't realize I had cast away this fundamental truth. For almost five years, I had not only lost a meaningful relationship with God, but I had lost my love for all things difficult and challenging. Where before I searched for tests of fire, I had now sought a more lukewarm feeling.

In hindsight, this may have been the single most regretted choice in my life. I began to chose the easier path, not to mention an infesting envy of all those who could overcome anything hard or difficult in life. This choice had brought on much pain, suffering, and sorrow -- many I've just unearthed and I expect many more I will discover in the months of introspection to come.

But having recently renewed my faith in my God, I am starting to re-appreciate what is hard. But falling in love takes time - whether it be with a person, or to a fundamental belief in life. This will take time, I know. But it is a love that is worth it.

Like someone said with fewer words than I just did -- 'what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.'

No comments: