Sunday, September 9

Tribute: Madeleine L'Engle













***
Madeleine L’Engle, who in writing more than 60 books, including childhood fables, religious meditations and science fiction, weaved emotional tapestries transcending genre and generation, died Thursday in Connecticut. She was 88. (New York Times)
***

To be honest, she was not one of the authors I came upon discovering myself. Not like Tolkien, Rothfuss, Rowling, or Handler -- authors of series I love to read (LOTR, NOTW, HP, ASOUE) -- L'Engle's books did not jump at me from a bookshelf. A friend of mine in college lent me a tattered copy of "A Wrinkle in Time." And its to her I owe knowing such an author and her works.

Madeleine L'Engle's world was more mature, more lively, more daring than any I had read back then. Sure it was easy to get lost in Gandalf and in Frodo, and in the quest to destroy the one ring. But that was a genre of mystical creatures and of impossible, improbable quests against monsters and villains. Tolkien's world was so vividly colorful and exciting that making it into an Oscar-winning film trilogy was apparent. But L'Engle dealt with the same concepts much much more daringly. Keeping to human heroes and heroines, she boldly told a story that was deep and meaningful -- weaving concepts behind conformity, about understanding, behind the idea of 'deity', behind love, about seeking, behind being different, and being unique. She was smart, much like her heroes and heroines - writing children's books, but challenging the idea that what children read should be a lesser form from what adults can.

And considering she wrote this book in 1963 (i only knew when I research her biography ten minutes ago), it is all the more outstanding. A strong female heroine, an ability to weave advanced science into a morally-grounded children's story, and enduring themes; she was a writer decades ahead of her time.

Her recent picture seen here -- speaks to me how happy and content she was. I would consider my life blessed, filled, and overflowing if I could just be as half as happy as she is in this picture.

A few words from "A Wrinkle in Time" - one of her first, and most acclaimed books - will remain in my heart for as long as I can read, write, and understand them:

"Like and equal are not the same thing at all!" - Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time

rest in peace, Ms. L'Engle.

No comments: